Friday, August 2, 2019

Baseball HOF 2019 Induction Trip



In honor of Edgar Martinez making it into the Baseball Hall of Fame's Class of 2019, I was able to attend the induction events and experience family bonding with my two brothers. This involved flying into Detroit, Michigan, spending the night with my older brother at his home near E. Lansing, then driving back to Detroit to retrieve my younger brother and beginning our road trip to Cooperstown, NY. Turns out that my  Michigan brother and his wife have plenty of artwork of horses and dogs, not to mention my brother's extensive collection of baseball memorabilia.







These two watercolor portraits of Whippets are amazing! The two Whippets in motion is very futuristic and reminiscent of oil paintings by Marcel Duchamp.



On our road trip, we also visited some wineries. This photo is a great example of positive-negative space. Notice how the sky creates a negative space emulating leaves.

This heron sculpture was pretty impressive as well.




Once we arrived at the HOF Museum, I headed directly to the Frank and Peggy Steele gallery. "Art of Baseball", included works by the HOF resident artist, Justyn Farano. I was able to purchase a couple of his lithographs, such as the Class of 2019 & this KGJ work.





“Casey at the Bat”, c. 1975 (1938-2005)
“Tough Call” (1948)


Here are a couple of classics by Robert Heindel (left) and Norman Rockwell (right). In my 5th-grade classes, I like to use Rockwell's "The Dugout" to teach about perspective.







"Smokey Joe Williams" (1985) 
"The Hall of Famer" (1996)




Deryl Daniel Mackie's painting (left) reminds me of those of Kehinde Wiley whose portraits had been on display at the Seattle Art Museum. You may also recognize the painting (right) by Leroy Neiman.







There is so much more I want to show, including a silkscreen of NY Mets Pitcher, Tom Seaver, by Andy Warhol, and a collage-style picture by LaVern Brock (2006) made up of thousands of baseball cards depicting Phil Niekro's jersey.

2 comments:

  1. Hey all,
    how are you doing.
    I read this amazing article and found that it is actually very good and has information for all.
    Btw do read this aamzing guide on Download TNPSC Group 4 Hall Ticket 2019.
    I hope you will like this information.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words and interest in my blog. I've since added 2 Edgar bobble heads to my own baseball memorabilia collection. The one with him holding his HOF plaque is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

It seems like the more I teach, the more I have to blog about. Please comment and suggest topics you'd like me to post about.