Monday, April 20, 2020

Picturesque Antelope Canyon, Arizona - A Photographer's Dream




In 2018, on our way back from California, we visited Antelope Canyon east of Page, Arizona. Guided tours of the rocky caverns containing much-photographed sandstone formations have been conducted exclusively by Navajo tribesmen since 1997. The swirling patterns, textures, and natural lighting effects produce abstract images of yellow, orange, pink and purple. When the guide threw dirt into a stream of light it created an ethereal blueish line.








It is difficult to choose between the number of spectacular photos my family and I were fortunate enough to capture.







On the same trip in 2018, Palm Springs Art Museum was exhibiting the works of Andy Warhol. I was able to capture one of his diamond dust prints, an unusual negative portrait of the artist, Georgia O'Keefe. What makes it even more creepy is the fact that I caught Warhol's reflection from another print on the opposite wall.




Untitled (1940) O'Keefe






Here's one of her landscapes described as 'red and yellow cliffs' taken from the blog of Michael G. Imber containing more landscapes and describing how Ms. O'Keefe lived and camped in the desert to find her inspiration.







The images from Arizona are reminiscent of the abstract flowers painted by Georgia O'Keefe prior to 1920 as well as by her New Mexico landscapes in the 1940s.

"Music Pink and Blue II" (1918)





"Phantom" (2014) by Peter Lik

Peter Lik's black-and-white photo shot in Antelope Canyon in 2014 sold for $6.5M. Personally, I like my "Sasquatch" shot in 2018 at Zion National Park. Maybe you can see my phantom shape next to the tree and above the boulder.




No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems like the more I teach, the more I have to blog about. Please comment and suggest topics you'd like me to post about.