Monday, October 12, 2020

Interview With an Artist -- Photographer Zbig Kasprzyk

“Taking Flight” Great Blue Heron, Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, Utah


My next interview subject is another of my colleagues from the Black Diamond Arts Alliance, my friend, and Photographer, Zbig Kasprzyk. I met Zbig and his wife, Kareen this year when I joined BDAA. I featured Zbig's wildlife photography last May in my Animal Art & Wildlife Photography post. 




1. What benefits have you received from joining an artist association?

I actually consider myself a newcomer to the term “artist”. In college, I wanted to be a commercial photographer. I spent a year in a commercial photography program and worked at several photo labs doing mainly custom prints. This was all in the days of film, nothing digital. Life took a strange turn and I got into law enforcement, I spent over 33 years in that field. I kept dabbling in photography the whole time and now am able to spend more time with it. I joined the Black Diamond Arts Alliance a couple of years ago and this has helped me an awful lot. People like Barbara Benedetti Newton, Patricia J. Moss, and many others have been a great inspiration and help. The artist critiques we hold at BDAA are extremely helpful. 

“Cougar Falls” Nickel Creek, Mount Rainier National Park


2. How do you find inspiration?

"Wagon Wheel" Bannack State Park, Montana


My love of nature is my main inspiration for a lot of my photos, just seeing the beauty out there and trying to capture it in a photograph inspires me. There are also stories that can be told by taking just the right photo. You can also find beauty in man-made things.




3. Do you travel for your art?

“Ketchikan Sunrise” Ketchikan, AK


I have traveled quite a bit. I’m lucky that I have family in South Africa and parts of Europe so I’ve been able to visit them, and of course, my camera goes everywhere with me. I have also traveled to parts of the US and plan on many more trips.





4. Why do you create art?

“Coopers Hawk” Enumclaw, WA




I’ve always loved the challenge that photography brings. When I’m out taking photos, I can get lost in my own world and it’s just me, my camera, and the subject. That’s probably why I love nature photography as much as I do. 







5. What is your process like?

“Ladybug"

It’s always trying to be at the right spot at the right time, sometimes you can plan that other times it’s just the luck of being there. I’m always walking around trying to find the right lighting, the right angle. I’m trying to look at things differently. There are times when you are looking at a nice big landscape and there is something small almost under your feet that you might miss. After my photoshoot, I download my photos on my computer and start going through them. They might need some cropping, slight exposure adjustment, etc. Ideally, I try not to do too much adjusting to a photo. 







6. What is your favorite piece you’ve created?

“Serenity” Female Elephant, Zulu Nyala Game Reserve, South Africa


My favorite piece would be the one I call “Serenity”. This was taken at Zulu Nyala Game Reserve in South Africa. It’s a close-up head-on shot of a female elephant, focusing on her right eye. Her eye is closed and she looks as though she may be sleeping. This was one photo that required no adjustment of any kind.



7. What is your favorite piece by another artist?




My all-time favorite photographer is Ansel Adams. I have a hard time picking a favorite photograph of his. I would say that his photos at Yosemite are my favorite. Beautiful black-and-whites are so hard to find anymore.




8. What is your philosophy as an artist?

“Winter Reflection” Sinkhole Lake, Enumclaw, WA



I take photos for my love of the beauty that surrounds us. I don’t necessarily take a photo because someone else may like it; you need to love what you produce.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems like the more I teach, the more I have to blog about. Please comment and suggest topics you'd like me to post about.