Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Praying Hands in Art -- A Dedication

Praying Hands (1508),
Albrecht Dürer


Before I ever asked her out on a date, my wife was working upstairs from my office in a data library behind Dutch doors. When I approached her desk, I immediately noticed a picture containing praying hands, so I asked her if she was a 'religious girl'. Upon further inspection it turned out to be a poster about being left-handed. Some icebreaker! In any case, my question, while puzzling, didn't scare her off.

Hands (and feet) are among the most expressive and challenging features of the body to capture. Let's explore more art dealing with praying.


An Elderly Man in Prayer
(1660), Rembrandt




The second painting shows An Elderly Man in Prayer, painted by Rembrandt. I love the overall texture of the somewhat monochromatic portrait, capturing the old age and beard of the subject. The softness and subtle treatment of light is less like a Rembrandt and more like a Degas.






The Angelus (~1857), Millet



The Angelus by Jean-François Millet shows a peasant couple praying over the grave of their dead child. This painting was studied and copied by Vincent Van Gogh. It may be seen in Paris at the Musée d'Orsay.





The Prayer (1882), Van Gogh




I've used The Prayer by Vincent Van Gogh in my pastels class for the portion where we use a limited color palette. I was inspired by a reproduction that my niece has in her dining room.






Grace (1918), Eric Enstrom


Similarly, Swedish-born American photographer, Eric Enstrom famously captured a photograph of Charles Wilden praying in 1918. It became the Minnesota state photograph in 2002. I love this because my wife was born in the 'North Star State'. You can see the story in the article, The story behind Minnesota’s official state photograph.




Drawing Hands (1948), M.C. Escher



I love the graphical illusions created by M.C. Escher. Although not praying, these hands are interesting and recognizable, and a standout example of his wonderful works. It's a drawing of a drawing.





Three Girls Praying (2015), Mccabe



I found this portrait of Three Girls Praying (2015) by Pamela Mccabe. It is reminiscent of the illustrations of Norman Rockwell. It makes me think of all the people who are praying for my wife as she (and our family) navigates through a tough illness.





While I don't know who painted this beach scene, the subjects remind me of my wife, her sister, and one of her two brothers. I'm dedicating this post to my wife as our family and friends pray for her recovery from a long and serious illness. I hope these images inspire you to pray for someone who needs it. Maybe it will inspire you to use art as a way of dealing with whatever life throws at you.

5 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute to your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to see how different artists depict prayer. There’s definitely a calming feeling that comes from some of them, and prayer should bring peace. Thanks for sharing this, especially at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m praying for her and your family ~ love you guys 🙏

    ReplyDelete

It seems like the more I teach, the more I have to blog about. Please comment and suggest topics you'd like me to post about.