Saturday, March 23, 2024

Pumpkin Carving 2023

It's been a while since my last post. Still observing and appreciating art around me, but haven't been able to devote much time to creating art myself since late 2023, with my last works being carved jack-o-lanterns in October. I was inspired by binge watching the Star Wars television series about the Ahsoka Tano the Jedi. She is actually my second pumpkin carving of 2023.



For my first carving of the season I wanted to try out new eyes, specifically peeling concentric circles deeper and deeper from skin to flesh. It kinda turned into an owl, but it was inspired by my own version of Angry Birds.



I then tried emulating a witch face silhouetted against a harvest moon.

Not my best work!


I also did a more traditional jack-o-lantern face with sort of a batwing mouth, skeleton nose, and scary cat eyes. 

You may remember my scary cougar pumpkin, complete with whiskers.

For my final pumpkin, I found three howling wolves on a t-shirt design that as it turns out my nephew owns. While I often use black or red marker to sketch out my design, this time I used a black Sharpie to accentuate the wolves and add another value.





This technique was inspired by my niece who recreated a design found on a Halloween decoration containing a ghost with a black hat. I simply used the marker in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It seems like the more I teach, the more I have to blog about. Please comment and suggest topics you'd like me to post about.